So…What’s Your Film About?

Michelle:  Whether at a high-profile meeting or at a laid back cocktail party, the creators of most art forms are perpetually prompted to describe their idea by likening it to existing, well-known pieces in order to gain legitimacy and respect from their peers. The results usually end up in very absurd territory. Example?

Boy at a Party: You should check out my band sometime. Our sound is a Flaming Lips/Guns and Roses love child that was raised by Ani DiFranco.

Potentially Interested Girl: (giggle) Wow, that sounds…pretty neat actually. Tell me more!

Humans like categorizing. It helps us make sense of the world around us, especially the parts of the world containing different and unfamiliar ideas. While some artists shun this practice for fear of labeling their omg totally original art, it’s a necessary evil in generating any interest or curiosity about a project. The film industry is rife with this sort of quick referencing.

Random Human: So…what’s your film about?

James Cameron: Well, Avatar is kinda like Dances with Wolves in space.

Random Human: Oh, okay. I guess that makes sense…Wait, what?

We are not making this shit up. Read all about it here and here.

It’s also been said that Titanic = Romeo and Juliet on a boat. Which goes to show that even after you’ve made two of the highest grossing films in history an artist must still quip cheesy-ass pigeonholing references to make potential audiences, investors, and critics feel just enough familiarity but with its own creative spin.

A couple of other delightful examples:

St. Elmo’s Fire group dynamic meets a Hackers universe = The Social Network.

Monty Python tomfoolery + witty Sherlock Holmes whodunit = Clue.

There are obvious pros and cons to this sort of labeling. Comparisons to glory may give off an inflated sense of ego, but mass recognition referencing undeniably garners a nodding, “Oh, I think I get it” type of reaction. A reaction that hopefully contains the magical mixture of comfortable recognition and show-worthy appeal.

Random Human: So…what’s your film about?

The YI: The Young Invincibles is an independent fictional story (not a documentary!) in Traffic-style storytelling with Reality Bites characters.

Get it? Good. Sound appealing? We sure hope so!

Advertisements

8 Comments (+add yours?)

1. 83Lolita
    Jul 28, 2017 @ 10:57:57

Hello admin, i must say you have very interesting posts here.
    Your page can go viral. You need initial traffic only.
    How to get it? Search for; Mertiso’s tips go viral

2. digital media
    Jul 05, 2014 @ 11:42:36

For most recent news you have to visit world-wide-web and on world-wide-web I
    found this web site as a best website for hottest updates.

3. Johnk889
    Jun 02, 2014 @ 04:48:06

You are a really persuasive writer. I can see this in your writeup. You’ve a way of writing compelling info that sparks significantly interest. cfadbbkeabge

4. Keischa
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 22:53:27

When the insurance QuotesChimp elects not to repair your car but to pay you its value, it is sometimes called “totaling” the vehicle. When the company totals your car, you receive what the vehicle is “worth” on the open market�even if (as is often the case) this amount is less than it will cost you to actually replace the car.

5. Yana
    Oct 26, 2013 @ 05:41:56

Comments by some of our customers: After pilcang my order I received the cross in the mail in just a couple of days! It arrived in perfect condition and the I was very impressed with the detail and craftsmanship. Jason L. The design in this cross is so detailed and beautiful. It’s wonderful to see people working in Christ anyway they can. I can’t wait to see what else is put out here!! Shea B. I got the birth signs today thank you very much they look fabulous. I love them. Dawn M. I highly reccommend her stuff. Jeff V.Regarding an email updating on progress, with picture attached, You just made me cry .that is beautiful .thanks so much I LOVE IT . Tina F. Preeeettttyyyy! Thanks for making such a beautiful keepsake for her. Anna S.

6. here
    Oct 18, 2013 @ 11:14:52

I don’t even know what to say, this made things so much easier!

7. link
    Oct 15, 2013 @ 00:19:32

Just what the doctor ordered, thankity you!

8. Everline
    Jan 02, 2013 @ 21:39:10

Medical treatment is hlgihy standardized across the world. The exact same procedures, medications, and treatment offerings are available in Tokyo, Shanghai, London, New York, and every other major city. There is no difference.